Search:

Natives: Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire
Got myself a physical copy of this book recently. It's a sort of combination of autobiography and political history. Only a few chapters in but so far it's been pretty good at placing the personal experience of the author - who grew up in "the clich├ęd, single-parent working-class family" - into the wider social context. It's been pretty ruthless at challenging and dismantling much of the mythology surrounding British society - although sometimes I wonder whether it's actually going far enough...

Anyone else read this book?
was it good?
(10-01-2020, 05:45 AM)black_fox Wrote: was it good?

yea, it's probably one of the most lucid books on the British socio-political context that I've read. Though I felt there are some capitalistic assumptions that the author hasn't really challenged. Like, despite having no illusions about British society even slightly resembles the meritocratic ideal it claims to, he still seems to talk as if that idea of meritocracy is the ideal form of "society".

also he talks quite a bit about music/parties/raves in black working class culture and I must confess to being too white and asocial to understand what he was talking about in those parts of the book